You need to bake this cake. Perhaps the most perfect afternoon tea cake. Ever. Not only is it moist, aromatic with citrus and dense with ground almonds; it actually improves with age. So, its perfect for baking on a lazy Sunday and eeking out as an afternoon treat over the week. The recipes comes from Orangette’s blog and she actually calls it marmalade cake as boiling the lemon and orange makes it smell like marmalade when it’s cooking. Then when you’re eating it, the little nuggets of orange and lemon make it taste like little bursts of marmalade-like bitterness.
I’ve called it orange and almond cake in the hope of inspiring those who love ground almonds rather than putting off those who hate marmalade. (I dislike marmalade too, except in bread and butter pudding, where it is divine.)
The cake requires a little preparation as you need to boil an orange and lemon for 30 minutes first. Otherwise, its very easy to put together. I normally make this in a springform tin, but have also made it in two 20cm sandwich tins. The slight bitterness of the cake means it goes very well with some super sweet buttercream icing (and I recently made it for a friend’s wedding cake).
(A friend of mine recently baked this with just lemons and tells me it’s divine – one to try)
1 orange (blood oranges are nice when in season)
½ tsp salt
125ml oil (sunflower or light olive oil)
150g ground almonds
1 tbsp baking powder
- Cover the lemon and orange with water and boil for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Cut the lemon and orange in half. Scoop the flesh out of the lemon and discard, remove any stones from the orange.
- Blend the orange and lemon rind to a purée.
- Whisk the eggs and salt together until fluffy. Slowly whisk in the sugar, then the oil.
- Fold in the orange and lemon purée.
- Fold in the ground almonds, baking powder and flour. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased and lined 23cm springform tin.
- Bake for 1 hour at 180C, or until springy on top and skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...